Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How can you increase dpi of digital photos?

When uploading images from camera to computer, how do you increase dpi from standard 72 to 300? If I change it in photoshop, I loose image quality. I'm working with a Canon Rebel XT and I have it set on the highest quality image.How can you increase dpi of digital photos?
How the image was originally formatted is how the image will upload. If your camera took it in low res, there is nothing you can do. To increase the quality of the upload, you must change the settings on your camera.



There are some high tech programs than enhance poor images, but your a talking major buckos--- used in crime labs to computer enhance photos for evidence.How can you increase dpi of digital photos?
http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnADeta
The pics you take are probably really large 72dpi images. Just open Photoshop and click on image/image size. In the image size window be sure that 'constrain proportions' is checked and resample image is unchecked. Then change your dpi to 300 and you will be all set!



If you need to enlarge the image further at 300 dpi, do it in increments of about 5% each time until you reach the image size you are seeking.
Don't worry about it. I did my own study of this problem with several different cameras. I wait for the opportunity to send this answer about once a month, so thanks for asking.



You can not control the pixels per inch in your camera, as this is a function of the sensor. I have found the following ppi for SOME cameras by the following manufacturers. I wonder if this specification is available anywhere. I have four camera manuals in front of me and I can't find it in any of them.



NIKON - 300 ppi

CANON - 180 ppi

PENTAX - 72 ppi



We ';discussed'; this by way of question and answers a while back and decided that the ppi file produced by the camera really did not have any effect on the capability to produce a good print. If I take a photo with my wife's 6 MP Nikon and view the image on the screen, it will start out as 300 ppi. If it's a full frame image of 3008 pixels x 2000 pixels, the SCREEN image would be pretty big if I viewed it full sized, but it would print 10.0'; x 6.6';. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, keeping it as full-frame as possible, it becomes 400 dpi.



With my brother's 6 MP Pentax, the image is 2816 px x 2112 px, but it's at 72 ppi. If you print this without cropping, it would be 39'; x 29';!!! If you crop a 5x7 out of this, though, it becomes 402 dpi resolution, which is virtually identical for the Nikon 6 MP camera.



With my son's 6 MP Canon Powershot A620, the image is 3072 px x 2304 px, but it's at 180 ppi. If you could possibly print this without cropping, it would be 17.1'; x 12.8';. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, though, it becomes 439 dpi resolution, which is a bit better than either of the other 6 MP cameras.



In other words, regardless of the sensor's pixel-per-inch output, 6 MP cameras produced the same resolution when it came time to print comparable images. How about a camera with more pixels?



If I take a photo with my 10 MP Nikon D200 and view the image on the screen, it will start out as 300 ppi. If it's a full frame image of 3872 pixels x 2592 pixels, the SCREEN image would be pretty big if I viewed it full sized, but it would print 12.9'; x 8.6';, if I had the right paper. If you crop a 5x7 out of this, keeping it as full-frame as possible, it becomes 516 dpi, or higher resolution than the 6 MP cameras. We knew that is would work out like this, though, didn't we?



The REAL question is, what difference does this make in the real world? If we agree that 300 dpi is an excellent resolution for prints, as long as you end up with at least 300 ppi after you are done cropping on the screen, you will get an excellent print as far as resolution goes. All four cameras exceed that amount. I usually resize ';down'; to 300 dpi before printing, because you can't tell the difference above that resolution anyway. Most people would be quite happy with a 200 dpi print, so go ahead and crop a bit. If you get a print resolution too much below 200 dpi, you will start to see digital artifact in the print and it will be objectionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment