Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Is it possible to change small graphics around 74 dpi to 300 dpi and then enlarge them without blurring?

Hello everyone, I'm not that knowledgeable about how to work with quality settings of a graphic. I have one that is about 74 dots-per-inch, and I have to set in 300 dot-per-inch, that's easy--but I need to know if I enlarge the graphic in its 300 dpi form,will it blur or look all 'pixelly', that is, if I stretch it up to to 8.5 inches x 11.5? (It's for a full bleed book cover.) How do I enlarge small graphics without blurring them anyway?



Thank you for your help!Is it possible to change small graphics around 74 dpi to 300 dpi and then enlarge them without blurring?
The dpi setting doesn't change the image quality.



Let's say you have a tiny 10x10 image. That means it has 100 pixels (or points, or dots, whatever you want to call them)

Now you stretch it to 100x100 Now you have 10,000 pixels. So 9,900 of the pixels have to be guessed at by the software enlarging the image. It only has the original 100 to work with. It can guess, but it can't create detail that wasn't there to begin with just by guessing. So the image will look very blurry.



See link:

No comments:

Post a Comment