Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you present your proofs in your photography business? CD?

HI all, 2 qiestions: I'm trying to start a side business in photography - 1st question - I was trying to determine how to present my proofs after a session - should I give the client a cd to view, maybe save the files at 72 dpi and put a watermark ';proof'; across them? Or should I sell them the CD with high res photos to print themselves at a higher rate - is that even done these days?



2nd question: I don't want to short change myself but I suspect some of the folks contacting me are wanting pics for myspace and such and not intersted in print. And on that note, 2nd question: if they want myspace pics only - how do you present those and charge for those?

Thanks to all in advance for your answers! I've found this avenue for answers is GREATLY helpful!How do you present your proofs in your photography business? CD?
I use photoreflect. you can upload photos to a session and set a password (if the client doesn't want them public). they go online and order 24/7. You give photoreflect commission. It beats paying for a website monthly. You also have a portfolio on there. It's a good way to show off all your work (must get permission from clients to have photos public). Also, if someone tries to click on the image it gives a message about it being copywrited.



But I have been questioning this method. I have considered doing what you suggested and watermarking ';proof'; accross it an either emailing them or giving a CD. As far as giving them small photos for web, I think it's a great idea, but I'd put your company name on there somehow. A photographer on myspace used to put her photos on a big black background with extra space at the bottom with her logo. She has since changed her myspace or I'd tell you to go see it.



ps. if you give them a cd, definitely make them small so they can't print from them. You can also offer to give them a high res CD for a nominal fee (make it worth your while!!!) or tell them if they spend at least x amount that you'll give them a high res cd. but make sure that amount is very high!!



You don't want to come across as giving away your work. they will respect you more if you charge for the high res cd. and you will seem more professional.How do you present your proofs in your photography business? CD?
There are several different methods for showing proofs.



1) www.mpix.com has a proof book service.

2) Low res photo-CD. Make the images 800x600 and 72dpi, no larger.

3) Use a company like PhotoReflect. You can use one of their printers or fulfill the orders yourself.

4) You can give the high res images away, and I do from time to time, but once you do that you will not make any more money on printing images.



Internet image usage:

Figure out where, how large and the duration an image will be used. Charge based on that. If they only want to use it for a monthly promotion, then sell the usage at a monthly rate.

Here is a sample of online web usage fees. It's from London, UK, so prices are in pounds. You can convert and determine accordingly for your area.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide

No comments:

Post a Comment