Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I make my camera take photos that are 300 dpi?

I need to take some photos that have a quality of 300dpi. Every time I upload a photo it seems to be 180 dpi.



How do I change this? I have read the manual but it doesn't seem to mention this. My camera is a Canon Digital Ixus 40 - it has 4.0 mega pixelsHow do I make my camera take photos that are 300 dpi?
Maybe you can't. I could not find that camera listed on canon's website - so ....it maybe to old.How do I make my camera take photos that are 300 dpi?
The resolution of your 4 mega pixel camera is MUCH more than 300 dots per inch (DPI). I doubt if it is even possible to set it that low. It is going to be at least a few thousand DPI. On the other hand, you may be using some software on your computer that is reducing your pictures to a much lower resolution. If that is the case, you need to adjust the software settings.



DPI (dots per inch) is an expression more often applied to printed or scanned images than to original. If you take an image and enlarge it massively, it is possible its printed image may be less than 300 DPI in which case you don't enlarge it quite so much to get it above 300 DPI.
DPI is what they use to measure the resolution for scanners, and MPs are what they use to measure the resolution for cameras.



Although your computer or imaging software might say ';taken in 180dpi'; in the properties for the picture, your camera will not. Somewhere (which should be easy to find) on one of the menus on the camera, it should let you select how many MPs you want the picture to be taken in (higher MP pictures use more memory) so if you set it on 4.0mp and you still get ';180dpi'; then that's the highest ';dpi'; you can get for your camera.



Hope this helps!



P. S. 4.0 mega pixels is not a bad quality, it should be just fine for the stuff you do and will be crystal clear if you decide to have them printed :)
It already does, sort of. The camera collects the image and tells the computer or printer that it is at 180 DPI. I am not a Canon user to tell you how to change it.



The file itself contains the 180 DPI . Software like Photoshop and Elements and most others have the ability to change what the file is reporting. In Photoshop it is in:



Image =%26gt; Image Size



Change the 180 to 300 or any number under the sun.



Without resampling, the image becomes smaller.

With resampling, the image loses resolution.



Canon uses 180 DPI because direct to a printer will print pictures that look pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment