Sunday, November 14, 2010

Help with resizing my digital image please!?

I know just enough about digital photo editing to screw a lot of things up!



I'm still reading, but hoping you can help me with quick advice. PSE7 ';Process Multiple Files'; converts my RAW images to JPEG at 240dpi with dimensions 2000 x 3008 pixels; size 3.68 MB.

I changed dpi to 300 - which changed dimensions to 2500x3760. 4.89 MB.

Because this is HUGE I changed the dimensions to 1197x1800 still at 300dpi. File size dropped to 109KB.

Uploaded to Mpix and they say I can print up to an 11x14 after the resize. I am worried about the drastic drop in file size. How do you think an 8x10 or 11x14 print will come out now? Will it look crummy?

Please guide me in my workflow. I realize the only purpose of converting to 300 dpi is for printing, but I need a good way to reduce file size, esp. when I am uploading a lot of photos.

Thanks!Help with resizing my digital image please!?
1) ALWAYS shoot at your cameras highest resolution

2) When processing RAW files, save them to the highest quality JPEG file you can.

3) HUGE is good when making photographic prints. I send 7 mb JPEG's to my printing service all the time and they can make prints that are up to 2 x 3 feet from them

4) When you do resize your images for posting on the Internet, always save them as a new file name so you do NOT overwrite your original file.



The most common posting size file is a 600 x 400 @ 72 DPI image file. They are from 200k to 350k depending upon the number of pixels on your sensor.Help with resizing my digital image please!?
1197 x 1800 at 300 dpi will look average on a 4x6 and that's being lenient. If you try to print that 109kb file on a 8x10 or 11x14, it will most likely look lousy. If you are using a print house, ask them what size and resolution they are expecting then go from there.
Download this software: http://imageconverterplus.com/. When you upload your images for resizing and converting (at the same time actually) you can put the desired parameters yourself, and the rest will be done automatically. You don't need to know much about digital photo editing. It wll be very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment