Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I convert an existing jpg image from it's current description to one needed by the printer?

I have an image that needs to be re sized, the dpi changed, and the dimensions adjusted to make the image appropriate for the printers I am sending it to. I know how to create a new image with these pre-set dimensions but I am not sure how to alter a previously created image to meet the requirements. I am using Photoshop CS3. help!How do I convert an existing jpg image from it's current description to one needed by the printer?
I hoping my CS2 knowledge applies to CS3 *crosses fingers*



FIrst, open your file! :D



See the main dropdown menus (FILE EDIT IMAGE LAYER SELECT FILTER VIEW WINDOW HELP)?



Kay, click IMAGE and go down to IMAGE SIZE



Then, you change the measurements and that should fix it. :)How do I convert an existing jpg image from it's current description to one needed by the printer?
Open a new file to the size and dimensions you need and just drag the background of the pic into the new file.



Use ctrl + T (or Apple + T if you are using a mac) to shrink it to the size you want.



Go to Image %26gt; Image size, and down the bottom you'll see...probably 72 pixels/inch. change that to the dpi you want. I'm assuming Pixels/inch is the same as dots/inch (dpi)



And from as far as I can tell, you're done!
In the Adobe universe:



鈥eb images are usually saved at 72 dpi (dots per inch), while print images are routinely saved at 300 dpi and higher resolution.



鈥eb images are saved using the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color system, while print images usually use CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) color mode.



鈥eb images are saved to JPEG, GIF, or PNG format, while print images are often saved in the TIFF format.



So I would suggest opening your pre-set dimension file. Then cut and paste your JPG image into it. Resize the image to fit and save the file as a TIFF file.



Remember that increasing DPI size increases file size and some printers just can't handle these large jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment