Saturday, November 13, 2010

How can I change the dpi of a photo?

hi everyone,



I signed up for something online and I have to upload a photo of my face,it had to be 600x600 and I did it,but then it said it has to have a minimum 150 dpi,mine is 96 dpi,any ideas on how I can make it 150?How can I change the dpi of a photo?
Dpi (Dots per Inch) is what the printer uses to define resolution, on a computer the resolution is in PPI (Pixels per Inch) the two are NOT the same.



You can alter the PPI in Photoshop by simply going to Image%26gt;Image Size and in the Resolution box typing 150, with the Re-sample Box checked. Then save the image with another name. It's best to 'sample down' from the original images resolution which will be higher, rather than 'sample up' which adds 'invented' data to the file.



Why do they want 150 PPI? The normal resolution for screen/web use is 72 PPI on a PC or 96 PPI for a Mac (both are exactly the same by the way) 150 PPI is for a low resolution print.



ChrisHow can I change the dpi of a photo?
You can go into photoshop and upscale the images DPI, idk any other way.



But beware by doing this the computer is creating fake pixels next to the originals in order to make your image larger which may result in bad quality photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment