Saturday, November 13, 2010

I need help with dots per inch?

I'm a little confused about dpi...

i know it's Dots Per Inch, but in order for me to enter a photography contest, all my pictures have to be 300 dpi (which is the standard for print right?).

I'm just curious how you would change dpi in photoshop? HELP.

I have no idea what i'm doing.



FYI: I have adobe photoshop elements 7I need help with dots per inch?
DPI is relevant only to print. If you are submitting electronically DPI doesn't matter. Now if they are going to print the winner it becomes relevant but it depends on at what size they are going to print. If they want, for example, an 8 x 10 print at 300 dpi, you need to submit an image that is 2400 x 3000 pixels. The resolution listed in the Image Size dialog in PS is largely irrelevant.I need help with dots per inch?
alt+ctrl+I

opens 'Image size' menu where resolution can be adjusted. NOTE: you can not 'add' detail, so a pic taken @ 150dpi and changed to 300dpi is just wearing a 300dpi label on it's 150dpi self. Rule of thumb- always photograph/scan @ higher resolution than you need- ALWAYS easier to scale down resolution

No comments:

Post a Comment